Norris Park History
Norris Park has evolved from an original 9 acre tract purchased in 1989 into a fully functional Business Park of approximately 60 acres. The original purchase provided a new home for the Garland C. Norris Co., which relocated its distribution center from Raleigh in 1990. Over the years, that facility expanded to 121,000 sq. ft. and continued as home for Garland C. Norris Co. until 2014.
Interesting from a historical standpoint, Mr. Garland C. Norris was born in Apex in 1886. He started his distribution business in Apex in 1904. After WW1, the company moved to Raleigh where it operated until it outgrew its Raleigh facility and returned to Apex in 1990.
The second major acquisition for the Park was its acquisition of the remaining “Perry Property” from the Town of Apex. The tract now contains the land and buildings on the outside lanes of the Apex Peakway.
The land which hosts the Norris Park Soccer Field at the corner of South Hughes St. and Perry Road was acquired from Mrs. Perry and Mrs. Riggsbee in 1989. The approximate 8 acre field is available for use by any citizen of Apex whenever the field is not in use for events hosted by The Apex Sports Authority.
The entire park was Master Planned in 1990. Development has remained true the original Master Plan – A First Class Business Park. Today, the entire park consists of approximately 60 acres, 7 buildings, the soccer field and acreage for future development.